Tuesday, October 09, 2007

music as an end to discontent

I've always been quite surprised at how music can affect and influence one's state of mind. Although working in film and television, I've found that music has a subtle but powerful effect on the way visual information is perceived and comprehended.

I've been quite fortuitous in having worked with talented composers, ones who can create that exact piece of audio work which my mind envisions when I set it against a set of sequences.



I met Erling Wold quite randomnly, at a Producer's birthday party several years ago, when I first started making short films. He has been the main composer for the films of Jon Jost, and I found that there was something entirely poignant and intangible about the pieces he created because within its complexity, and usages of textural ambient sounds, was at the center, a human element which I found quite hypnotic.

I was working on several commercials for the arts-based show I had produced last year for Peralta.TV in Oakland, when I asked him what he thought about the way his music was integrated into the set of visual images with my voice-over.




He paused for a moment, then told me he liked them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home