Wednesday, September 26, 2007

the voice

There is something powerful about the way a man articulates himself and shapes images around the words he uses linguistically to communicate context, meaning and emotion.

While I was living in England from 2003-2005, I became interested in the voice as a subject of study, mainly because the voice holds so much information that isn't easily discerned immediately. The tone, the pitch, the way a voice carries over into a space, are the things that we sense at once, but delay in recognition.

It is said that everyone possesses a unique voice, like that of a fingerprint. Working with voice-over talent, I've found that I always like the first take, because the first take seems to me the most genuine in perfectly expressing what is meant to be conveyed.

When I first screened this installation that I had produced for a tutor of mine, she started to cry.




I suppose there is something entirely powerful about his voice that leaves an indelible imprint in one's mind. I suppose there is also something rather powerful about the way as a director, one can elicit that kind of emotion from a man who mainly keeps to himself, and never shows you what he's really thinking or feeling. In this case, with the enigmatic artist, Martin Callanan.

2 Comments:

Blogger MJC said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:26 AM  
Blogger MJC said...

http://greyisgood.eu/blog/?p=112

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home